Legal Counsel (Sarawak)
5 - 10 Year(s)
1)Monitor and interpret changes in laws, regulations, and industry standards that impact the company business. Develop and implement compliance strategies to ensure the company adheres to these legal requirements.
2)Prepare, review and negotiate contracts and agreements, such as supplier contracts, distribution agreements, licensing agreements, non-disclosure agreements, and etc.
3)Identify potential legal risks and provide proactive advice to mitigate such risks. Develop risk management policies and procedures to safeguard the company's interest
4)Advise on matters related to intellectual property rights, including patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets. Help protect the company's intellectual property and assist in resolving disputes or infringement issues.
5)Provide guidance on product liability matters, ensuring the company's products comply with relevant safety regulations and standards.
6)Collaborate with external counsel to handle litigation and dispute resolution Processes. Participate in settlement negotiations and coordinate defense strategies.
7)Engage with relevant government agencies and regulators on issues related to company business. Prepare necessary documentation and submissions to comply with regulatory requirements.
8)Assist in corporate governance matters, including board meetings, corporate restructuring, and compliance with corporate policies.
9)Support mergers and acquisitions by conducting legal due diligence and assisting in negotiations and documentation.
10)Other duties may include support for day-to-day legal tasks assigned by team leader or Group General Counsel.
11) The candidate will also:
-participate in Legal Department training and development initiatives and complete
all assigned training.
-support implementation of workflows, processes, procedures, practices, guidelines,
playbooks, and templates.
-review, update or draft policies/manuals for the group.
-review and draft board papers.
1) 5-10 PQE in commerical litigation practice.
2) Strong knowledge of local, national, and international laws and regulations Familiarity with Malaysian employment laws, safety regulations, environmental standards, and other relevant legal frameworks.
3) Excellent research and analytical skills, with the ability to interpret and apply legal information effectively.
4) Proficiency in using legal research tools and software. Competent in Google Docs, Microsoft Office packages, particularly Word and Excel applications. Written and
spoken proficiency in Bahasa Malaysia and English, preferably with additional proficiency in at least one of Chinese, Bahasa Indonesia, or Arabic.
5) Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Adaptability and a practical approach to problem-solving.
6) Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams.
7) Sound judgment and decision-making abilities.
8) Strong attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
9) Demonstrated commitment to ethical conduct and confidentiality.
10) Ability to communicate effectively and interact with, as well as support, effective partnerships with management, peers, and internal stakeholders.
11) Ability to proactively organize a heavy workload and demonstrate excellent analytical abilities.
12) Cultural sensitivity, ability to compromise, and ability to work within a team.
13) Interest in continuous improvement and customer centricity, and the ability to learn and work hard.
14) A business or financial background is preferred but not required.
This position is only open to Malaysian citizens.